This sucks. I decided to upgrade my Adobe Acrobat reader from 5.0 to 7.0, so I removed 5.0 and downloaded the 7.0 file. Long story short, I’ve made more than five attempts to install (I stopped counting at five, yesterday) and it has yet to complete. Every time it stops at the same spot and I get a message that the program terminated prematurely.
Frustration is my middle name right now. Thursday is management review and I’m way behind on the report, as usual. During the meeting, though, the IT guys are going to give me a new motherboard. Hopefully that will solve a lot of the computer problems I’ve been having ever since I got the one I have.
Here’s to the eternal spring of hope.